Friday, March 21, 2008

Textural Mini Quilts 03-21-08

The Embellishments e-mail newsletter from Quilting Arts magazine that came on 03-18-08 has an item "Tips for Textural Mini Quilts" which talks about doing something that I haven't even thought about for years. The pieces cut off the sides when squaring up quilts are stitched together with a zigzag stitch over the butted edges. We used to do this over thirty years ago, but we used a base fabric and made placemats and coasters. That was the era of brown, orange, yellow, olive green. The colors shown in the newsletter are Easter colors and very pretty.
I save my edges to put inside of the 'stuffies' that I make to roll quilts for storage. So, I got out the box of those scraps and zipped up some Fabric Postcards. They don't have finished edges yet because I need to cut something for the backing, maybe a layer of Bristol Board.
Here are three Fiber Postcards pinned up side-by-side.
Here are the backs so you have a better idea of how they are stitched together. I had black bobbin thread so the joins and the quilting lines really stand out. This process is much easier using cotton batting than the floppy polyester batting we used in the 70s, and the results are much more pleasing, I think.
I don't know how you would access these instructions if you don't take the e-mail newsletter. If you would like me to send them via e-mail please leave a comment and I will send them to you.
I don't understand why the pink is so glaring in these pictures. It was not that way on Picasa. Something happens to the color when I transfer images to Blogger, they are either too bright or too dark. Anyone else have this problem?
Posted by Picasa

No comments: