Thursday, February 5, 2009

Profile Picture 02-05-09

"Calm in Chaos" Del Thomas 2005 24"W x 32"L
I finally posted a picture on my profile. It has taken a long time because I just don't have that many pictures of myself. I am always the one taking pictures. I used to insist that my late husband take at least one picture of me when we were on a road trip. Just to prove that I was actually there.
This quilt was created in answer to a challenge, there was a size limitation but no other rules. I wanted to do an image that could be identified as Del Thomas, but not be realistic. I am calm in chaos, don't know why, but a lot of stuff can be going on around me and I can be a 'rock'. Of course, when everything calms down I fall apart - isn't that always the way. Someone might also pick up on the scraps that stand for 'chaos' and the fact that I hate to throw scraps away. Last summer when Liz was helping me organize, I think she was most astounded at how many boxes, bags, baskets and Baggies we found full of scraps - from tiny snippets to quite large pieces (but short of 'yardage'). I donated a 50+ gallon plastic bin/lid full of scraps to the Beach Cities Quilt Guild for their Christmas sale, auction, boutique. Presumably it sold because they didn't send it back to me. I hope the quilt maker who bought it is happy with what she found inside the box. I put in so many scraps that I had to use packaging tape to keep the lid on.
I still have enough scraps to last the rest of my life!!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

meggie said...

I love your self portrait.
I have often wondered how I would depict myself... I have never tried, in a quilting sense. Perhaps I paint some pictures with my words... but I dont really know. A fabric journey might be nice to explore, even if I keep it secret!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Oh Dell, this is wonderful! In addition to the image of your calm presence in the midst of chaos, I see you dreaming of color! The colors look wonderful swirling on the black and white background.

Christine Thresh said...

That is the most marvelous quilt! I've seen a picture of the "real you" and this captures the tilt of your head and your famous hat.

Nancy said...

Absolutely LOVE it! How did you know that I have been straining to see more of that tiny picture in the margin?

imquilternity said...

LOVE your quilt! I have to laugh about you asking your husband to take a photo of you on vacations just to prove you were there. I've been doing the same thing with my lovely husband for 15 years. After that long, I STILL have to ask him to do it!