Saturday, May 14, 2011

Hard boiled.... 05-14-11

When I was a child my mother would mark eggs after she hard boiled them.  We always had lots of eggs because everyone kept chickens in the 30s and 40s - a saving grace during WWII.  At some point mom started drawing faces on eggs when she put one in a lunch bag - she was a gifted artist who, as a teenager, hand-tinted photos for photographers.  This was, of course, before color film.  I picked up her egg drawing habit and have always drawn faces on hard boiled eggs - just for the fun of it, something I do for myself.  I change "styles" every now and then - it just happens.  Currently I seem to be channeling Picasso's less talented sister. 

 
I always buy brown eggs - just because I love their colors.  Once in a great while I find araucana eggs in lovely soft blues and greens - I can hardly bear to break them.


A few years ago I discovered a copy of Corky's daddy's professional magazine with a cover full of "eggheads".   A completely different style from mine - I rarely give anyone hair. 
The blue polka dot chicken with fuzzy worm is a refrigerator magnet - fabric fused to the magnets you cut.  
 
Great eyelashes - with a sort of dewy look.
I use only Sharpies for this .
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Robin Quilts, etc. said...

These are way too cute. I love your eggheads.

Unknown said...

Love it!

Dolores said...

I was worried about you that you weren't posting. Glad only a computer glitch!!! Love the eggs. XX

Loretta said...

Seems to me that every corner of your life is creative and whimsical. How very, very special. Hugs

Rayna said...

Picasso's less-talented sister is doing just fine with the eggs. I remember brown eggs as a child but then they vanished from the store shelves - nobody wanted them. Now, the only organic eggs you can buy are brown. Full circle.

Blogger or no blogger, I have had nothing to post.
xo