Friday, July 15, 2011

A trip to San Diego 07-14-11

I drove to Visions Art Museum (formerly Visions Art Quilt Gallery) yesterday to see the current exhibit, "Fabric Free Fashion" which ends on Sunday, July 24th.  No pictures allowed, so this is an illegal photo that I took to share with you.  Sorry, Visions.  I was told how difficult it was to keep visitors from taking pictures and also from touching the garments.  Yes, I understand.  I am not interested in fashion and have seen a number of recycled art projects that were terrible, but this exhibit surprised and delighted me.  If you possibly can, go see it before it closes a week from Sunday. 

When I was younger and went places that required dress-up clothes I probably would have been brazen enough to wear this dress.  All of the garments had to be wearable and there are great pictures of each garment on a professional model.
 
Like many (most?) non-profits in this terrible economy the Museum is scraping the bottom of the barrel and has started a fundraising campaign for the biennial exhibit in 2012.  Fortunately they have a supporter who is putting up a $10K matching grant, so every dollar donated will be doubled.  I am a longtime admirer of Visions and urge you to renew/start your membership and also make a donation to the fund for the biennial.  Every little bit counts - give $5 or $5000! 

I lunched with a friend at a nearby restaurant, "Solare".  The seared tuna salad looked so yummy and I was so hungry that I had cleaned my plate before I remembered to take a picture.  Guess I will have to drive down there again and order the same thing - not just for a picture, but because it was so good.   The Wordless Wednesday image is from the restaurant - there are glass candle cups covered with silk ribbon attached to the dark vertical pole on the right.  I imagine they look quite lovely at night.  
Fortunately, for us, the waitress made an error on our bill and the hostess presented us with a complimentary dessert.  They called it a meringue, but it seemed more like a cold souffle to me.  There was just a touch of raspberry puree in the center, to go with the drizzle on the plate dusted with powered sugar.  I tasted a bit of alcohol in the souffle - Kirschwasser?  brandy?  Marsala?  I don't have a palette for liquor any more.  It was the perfect ending and sharing it made it the perfect couple of bites.

By the time I was on the road north I was in the traffic, so I stopped at the outlet mall off Palomar Airport Road to pay a visit to Crate & Barrel.  They didn't have much interesting on the Marimekko fabric shelves, but I found some promising 'remnants' in the 99cents-a-pound barrel.  Only one piece of purple for the purple basket I am preparing for the Surfside Quilters Guild basket auction in November.  Purple and the blue I use in my blue/white kitchen are out of fashion right now = everything is yellow, orange, acid green.  I'll keep looking. 
 
 
I also stopped at the Cupcake Store to buy this treat for a friend whose birthday was Monday.  It is vanilla cake with peanut butter frosting, chocolate sprinkles and a candy cell phone, because she is ALWAYS on her cell phone.  Even with the plastic clam shell box the fragrance was so tempting, I might have eaten it except the traffic had let up and it was a fairly quick drive home. 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Patty ♣ said...

I enjoyed this post Del!