Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Neglected garden 05-29-12

I am no longer much of a gardener, but this spring I have done nothing to keep things growing.  A "mow & blow" guy (can't be called a gardener) comes once a week to trim the grass, a few of the shrubs and blow the debris around to make the walks appear tidy.  About once a month I move the hose around on the roses, there are only six still living, for a deep soak and they keep blooming.  It is almost the first of the month and today was rose watering day.  I like yellow flowers and blue flowers so that is mostly what I have growing.  Currently blooming are:

 
The hybrid tea rose "Brandy", I think my all time favorite - except for Mr. Lincoln. 
 
A huge pile of one tansy plant.  The "mow and blow" guy would like to trim it back, but I like the wild look.  It is eight or nine feet in diameter and blooms pretty much all summer.  Tansy is good for keeping the ant population down and is a favorite of bees.
 
The flowers are, I think, quite odd.  Hard little yellow balls with a peculiar smell.
 
The coreopsis is looking sad because I haven't been out to deadhead the old flowers.  If I do that it will bloom most of the summer.  If I don't it might last until the end of June. 
 
I think is is a very pleasing bloom and I particularly like the way the buds look like little fairy cups sitting on scallop edged saucers.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Patty ♣ said...

Your Brandy rose is beautiful! Oh, I hope you have time to deadhead so the Coreopsis blooms all summer! That is something we have had, and now only a few have come back in one place. I like the Pincushion Flower we used to have too, it is purple/blue. I need to buy some more of those two, and some Nastersions!! They have also all gone now. When school is out....then I may have time. The garden is in need right now. Ronnie is working on the hot rod so no help.