Sunday, June 3, 2012

Ogden, Utah to Butte, Montana 06-03-12

A long drive today, under a typical Western sky - little traffic and only a scattering of rain.

 
Last evening when Ruth Powers and I checked into the motel in Ogden there were newspapers spread under the legs of the sofa and chairs.  We HAD to ask - the house cleaners had chipped up the legs with the vacuum, so someone was re-staining just the legs.  This morning I saw this guest waiting patiently, perhaps for a cello, while I had breakfast and waited for Ruth to return from church.  I wonder why this instrument is sitting here in the nude.
 
Blue, blue sky with a cloud-eating cloud.
 
North of Ogden we saw a lot of flat pasture land with cattle and large herds of horses.   And another cloud-eating cloud (this one looks like a fish).
 
The terrain continued to rise - somewhere up head we crossed the Continental Divide at around 6000 feet and again at 6900 feet just as we reached Butte.  Both times taller mountains loomed over 11,000 feet.
 
We did have this little bit of rain.  Always an experiment with getting the automatic windshield wipers to work, I use them so seldom in SCalifornia.  Ruth drove for almost 200 miles today, including when I took this picture.  It was very strange to be able to actually look at what I was photographing.  Thanks, Ruth.
 
A huge red bluff seemed out of place way up here in Montana.  And why did someone build a west facing house so that they wouldn't ever see the sunrise?
 
Unfortunately, someone doesn't know that my name is spelled with only one "L".

Much cooler today, and tonight I have a sweater on.  The first time it has been out of the bag since I packed in Placentia.  It is very pleasant to not be overheated.   And I seem to have recovered from my diarrhea, at last, hope it is gone for good.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

Loved the pictures! Hope that your "bout" is over! Nothing like having that kind of trouble whilst 'on the road!' ~ What is the matter with sign makers? Everyone knows there is only one L in Del! Keep enjoying the ride and be safe!

Beverly said...

Glad you've had a safe journey so far, have fun at the class and sightseeing. I'm looking forward to hearing from you on your way back!

Martha Ginn said...

Love the nature shots--cloud-eating clouds! Enjoy your travels.

Christine Thresh said...

That lobby photo is really neat.