Friday, November 2, 2012

Running away from home Part 1 (of 3) 11-01-12

Every year I think I will drive up to Bishop, CA., to enjoy the aspen trees when they don their golden leaves and every year something gets in the way.  Or I leave it until too late and winter sets in, stripping the trees and closing the passes over the Sierra.  Last month I decided to just go.  I thought I might drive over the mountains and pick up I-5 south, but the passes were all closed and I didn't feel I could drive up to I-80,  down to Sacramento and then all the way home - adding at least three days to my drive (since there is now a limit to how far I can drive in a day).  So, I was only gone for one night and retraced my route home. 


US 395 is a lonesome road that goes up the east side of the Sierra and is the main route from SCalifornia to the Mammoth ski area and Reno.  It is very much a lonesome road in the middle of the week in October.  The road sign is the turnoff to Randsburg - population 69, elevation 3500feet.   I wonder what people do for a living out here?  

More high desert road.  The yellow bushes on the right are rabbit brush which grows in the high desert between about 3000 to 8000 feet.  They bloom in the fall, adding to the yellow-gold color of autumn in the Sierra.  

The highest mountain in the contiguous states is Mt. Whitney (14,505 ft) located in the Sierra near the town of Lone Pine.  It may be somewhere in this picture!   84.6 miles west-southwest is the lowest point in North America at Badwater in Death Valley National Park at 282 ft below sea level.

The Owens Valley runs between the Sierra on the west and several mountain ranges on the east.  On the right are the White Mountains, home of the Bristlecone pines which are the oldest growing things on Earth.

Sunset in Bishop the night I was there - this is taken looking west from the motel. The mountains are in the lower left.
 
I frequently stay at Holiday Inn Express because I feel safer (reason unknown) and I love the cinnamon rolls they serve hot as part of the breakfast-included (not really "free", huh?).  I have not stayed at the one in Bishop before and will not again unless they can give me a room on the first floor.  There is an elevator, but it is located at one end of the building.  One must walk from the lobby near the west end to the east end of the building, go up the elevator and then walk the hall to one's room.  I took this picture from in front of my door looking back at the elevator at the end of the hall.   I may need the exercise, but I'd like to choose when I want to do it!  This carpet is not bad for a motel carpet - less jarring than most. 

To be continued.

#   #   # 

6 comments:

Beverly said...

Del, thanks so much for bringing up memories of the many times I've driven up Hwy. 395 from SoCal. We camped at Robinson Creek many summers when I was a kid, and I worked two summers in June Lake in college. I hope you got to see your aspens!

Patty ♣ said...

My dad and Mom used to go up there, someplace, to go fishing. I know I have been there but can't remember it. Beautiful photos Del.

Dolores said...

I love Holiday Express because they have an interior room entrance which is so safe and they are all the same and reliable and clean.

Patty Benner Young said...

Beautiful photos, and so much info about the Sierra flora! I love the way the mountains jut up on the eastern side of the Sierra. We like the Best Western in Bishop...just another option. There's a little stream that runs through a pretty garden area. Enjoy the fall!

Quiltedtime said...

I always enjoy your travel logs. I am waiting for the next installment.

Sherrie Spangler said...

Thanks for taking us on another road trip. I just love the wide open desert skies and terrain. Big nostalgic sigh.