Saturday, December 29, 2012

Beagle at VAM 12-29-12

I don't know the rules for service dogs in other states, but in California if the dog is wearing a vest that declares he is a service dog he can go anywhere with his owner.  No questions asked.  Although sometimes our curiosity about what the dog's job actually is can be unbearable.  I believe this dog's responsibility was for his mommy as he always stuck close to her.

This cute little beagle named Dakota (who is 11 years old) was so well behaved.  Sometimes he would lie down and rest whilst his parents examined the quilts, but he made no attempt to wander and was very quiet. 
The quilt here is "Monochrom V - Quest" by Barbara Lange of Freising, Germany.
 

Dakota kept an eye on me and I kept my hands off of him - too cute, isn't he? 

#   #   #
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

He is adorable, and I love the vibrant color of the orange quilt.

Unknown said...

I believe this is a nationwide law, Del...but sometimes I know that some people don't understand and give the handlers problems. My neighbors in CT raise and train service dogs and as part of their training they are taken out with their people so that they can get used to being in different types of environment before they get their full training.

It is sort of funny as some of them "flunk" out of some schools and they try to match them to say drug sniffing or something if they fail for seeing-eye, or mobility dogs. Some of them flunk out and are kept by the family....

Mary Ann said...

I think it is a national law, in Ohio they were the same vest. My dog has not been sanctioned as a therapy dog but she has been to hospitals and nursing homes often. She loves nursing homes, they have automatic doors! And she likes the attention of the clients. She also likes to go shopping and she will just sit and wait for the line to move. People are always commenting on how quiet she is, wouldn't know she is there unless you saw her.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what his job is, a beagle is sure difficult to train for something I should think, I have two myself.