Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pamela Allen quilts in TCQC 03-19-13

There was a bare wall in the offices at Visions Art Museum - how could this be?  I offered to provide small quilts to add a little color to the scene and have been rotating a little display for the past year or so.  Lisa Yoder admires Pamela Allen's work - in fact, I first met Lisa in Pamela's class at Empty Spools a number of years ago - so especially for Lisa there are currently four quilts and one postcard made by Pamela hanging in the VAM office.  Ask at the desk and you might be able to look at them.  Tell them Del sent you!

 
"The Cherry Picker" 2005 20"x25", "Right Side of the Tracks #1 and #2" each 12"x 11.5", "Can't Piece Geese, Can Do a Loose Goose" 2010 16"x16.5", (and above) a fishy postcard. 
These are all hand and machine appliqued using cotton fabrics. Also hand and machine quilted. 
 
 
"The Cherry Picker"  Pamela Allen 2005  20"x25"

When I purchased this quilt at auction I was not familiar enough with Pamela's work to recognize that the cherries are actual "paste" cherries and three dimensional, and the leaves are polyester and also 3-D.   Since I take quilts different places to do programs I am cautious about embellishments that might catch on other quilts or be crushed in transporting them.  So this quilt doesn't travel very often.  However, I frequently have it hanging in my house - I especially love the soulful eyes and the green lipstick.   Pamela uses recycled clothing, something I appreciate from my years of traditional quilting.  
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Loretta said...

Love, love, love Pamela Allen's quilts. They are always exciting to investigate!

Lisa Yoder said...

Having Del Thomas decorate my office is something I consider a BIG PERK! When I realized she owned many Pamela Allen quilts, I could not resist asking for a display of Pamela's work. Thanks, Del! What are you going to surprise me with next? (That doesn't mean I am tired of the current office exhibit!)