Thursday, May 8, 2014

Empty Spools class with Hilde Morin 05-08-14


Here is a collage of all the pieces worked on in Hilde Morin's class - of course, they are not finished, but some are closer completion than others.  I will be posting some progress pictures for the next couple of days.  I think it is interesting to see how the work develops - especially since there were no patterns created, everything was based on looking at the inspiration photo and cutting/piecing.  There is no applique and no fusing in these projects.  Although, once the students have taken them home, who knows what will be added! 
 

Carol Esch did this fabulous window from a photo she had taken years ago. 

I think it amazing that she was able to make her work look so much like the photo.
 
Mary Kay Price did just a section of her inspiration photo - the upper right.

I don't know where this picture was taken - somewhere in southern Europe.
 

I took this picture from my hotel window in Denver.  I was struck by the crookedness of the floors and the fact that it is made from yellow brick.  I asked around and was told that this parking structure was built in the 1930s, but have no idea if that is true.   What a contrast to the high rises behind it.

In the early stages the windows were more accurately vertical, but that didn't seem to work, so I turned them horizontal.  And I chopped off one row of windows on the block on the left.  All along I kept auditioning fabrics for the foreground.  I didn't want to put the rain soaked flat roof there, so I turned it into a vacant lot. 

By the time the class was over it looked like this (and still does), but I hope to find some time this summer to work on it until it is finished.  I don't like the piece in the top center (under the sky piece) and will either delete it or replace it with something that seems to me to work better.  There is a lot of work to be done yet.  I used the photo for inspiration and had no intention of trying to make this project look like the photo. 
 
#   #   #

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's more fun to interpret a photo like you did, and give it your own twist!

Dolores said...

Looks great, Del!!

Hilde Morin said...

Del, That piece that you dislike is my favorite (are you surprised?) It looks like a giant billboard!

Thanks for your step-by-step documentation.
Hilde