Saturday, June 14, 2014

Beach Cities QGuild Quilt Show 06-13-14

One of the local quilt guilds held their biennial quilt show last weekend and Liz and I went to see what there was to see.  The quilt has a reputation for showing exceptional work by members; they have more than a few members who like to work with wool applique, several that specialize in embroidered quilts, and some who do original art quilts.  I'll show more work as I have time and space in my blog.
 
 

This is a fantastic use of this fabric, which I had admired in the shops, but couldn't think of what I might do with it.  Jane's quilt is a knock out.

I think it is very effective to have the circles randomly quilted rather than each one sewn exactly on the edge of the dots.  The background is stippled.

Instead of ribbons they give flowers!
 


I have seen this machine embroidery being done automatically on an embroidery machine, but this is the first quilt I have seen done like this.  It is done with gold colored thread - not metallic.

I have a bunny lover amongst my friends, so I took a detail that might please her.  It almost looks as though this bunny has wings.  In this picture you can see the block seams.  
 

The one terrible thing about the show was the pictures of the quiltmakers.  Apparently whoever did the photos didn't realize they needed to resize them from the corners rather than top/bottom and side/side.  Makes everyone look misshapen and about 50 pounds heavier.

Nancy Gasparotti makes great original quilts with a modern quilt movement color selection, although she was doing this before the formation of the Modern Quilt Guild.  The darker triangle on the right side of the quilt is a shadow cast by the lighting system.  Nancy has a great eye for color.   One of her pieces is in the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection.
#   #   #