Tuesday, August 5, 2014

International Quilt Study Center, Lincoln, NE 08-05-14

This is a look back at July 24th when I visited the IQSC for few hours.  They had quite a variety of quilts displayed: thirties and older quilts, quilts from Pakistan and examples from other eastern countries, and several contemporary art quilts. 
 
I've always admired Joy's work, but she is not very prolific and I have not seen many of her quilts in-the-fabric.




Sue Benner works with many styles, maybe that is why I enjoy her work so much.  Always something new and original.  I love the layers in this piece.






 I am not familiar with this artist, but I was impressed with this quilt.  Her technique reminds me of both Regina Benson and Karen Rips.  It is great to hear that IQSC is expanding their interests into the "new" quilts of the late 20th C and early 21st C.
 



Since I had just been to the Quilters Hall of Fame locate in Marie Webster's 19th C home in Marion, Indiana, I was interested in the display they had of her quilt designs and ephemera.

From Ladies' Home Journal, Jan 2012

There is a smaller size of this quilt design at the QHOF that was made by Sandy Sutton who lives here in Orange County.  Sandy was at the celebration for Ruth McDowell in Marion - what a small world it is! 

Fabulous quilting

More of Marie Webster's  designs.

 Antique Star of Bethlehem and Sue Benner's "Cellular Structure VIII". 
 
#   #   #

2 comments:

Loretta said...

Extraordinary quilts and commentary. My world is much, much richer since meeting you so many years ago. Thank you.

Terry Waldron said...

I'm sooooo glad to see your photos from Lincoln, Nebraska. You were visiting my alma mater, U of Nebraska, Lincoln! I graduated with a degree in art the year after they built the Sheldon Art Gallery. Spent hours there, after art history classes, with student-friends discussing art.
Terry Waldron