Thursday, December 4, 2014

Friday Flowers 12-04-14

Southern California had a wonderful two day rain - soft, gentle, almost continuous.  There was little runoff in my area, so the ground has a good soaking. After no rain that amounted to much for eight months you can guess what a welcome storm it was.  I always count my blessings this time of year when winter has come to more northern states and we are basking in sunshine.  The roses are still blooming along with dozens of other winter flowers.

I walked out to check the property today and picked the last of the Peace roses, such a lovely fat bud, partially open.  And, while I was out, I walked across the street to see how many ripe tomatoes I could find in my neighbor's planter along the sidewalk.  He used mulch that contained sewage sludge (thoroughly treated) and mushroom planting mulch.  The tomato seeds don't break down and he has a nice crop of tomato vines growing amid his flowers.  They are tiny, but very sweet and tender.  

I don't know the names of these two roses, (above/below) they were both here when we moved in  and the tags were gone. 


This is Brandy, one of my most favorite and a prolific bloomer, there are probably 15 flowers on the bush right now.  It is only slightly fragrant. 


And then there is the magnificent Mr. Lincoln.  Huge flowers and a heavy fragrance, just the rose to grown near the patio. 

#   #   #

2 comments:

Dolores said...

Gorgeous roses!!

Sherrie Spangler said...

How beautiful! I love seeing your flowers in December.