Friday, December 18, 2015

Thursday Threads 12-17-15

Recently I was asked which original quilt that I have made is my favorite and why it is so. I couldn't decide on just one and sent two images.  I like both of these quilts because of their color and because I enjoyed making them. 
 
Parrot Percussion has parts of parrots in each center square, I made the blocks and moved them around on the design wall until I had an arrangement I liked. I also like it because it can be hung either vertically or horizontally. 
 
"Parrot Percussion"  Del Thomas 1996 30"W x 85"L Machine pieced and quilted.
 
Cactus Flower was started in a Ruth McDowell "Designing from Nature" class at Asilomar.  It languished for several years until I took the design and all the fabrics I thought I might use out to a house in the desert and worked on it exclusively for four or five days.  For me Ruth's techniques are very logical, until it comes to fabric selection and like everyone I know I find that to be a struggle.  This quilt is all pieced using both her straight line and curved line piecing techniques.  It is such a bright, happy quilt.

"Cactus Flower"  Del Thomas 2000 61.5"W x 48"L  Machine pieced and quilted.
 
#   #   #

3 comments:

Karen Rips said...

Cactus Flower is just beautiful. Hope yo're over your cough and feeling good

Dolores said...

Lovely!!!

Loretta said...

I do hope you'll be quilting in 2016!! You are a fine, fine quilter and your ideas are extraordinary and provide inspiration to me and many others I'm sure.