Sunday, September 25, 2016

New quilt in TCQC 09-25-16

The SAQA auction started last Monday and I bought a quilt that I really admire.  It is by Maria Shell who I heard speak at the SAQA Conference in Portland.  I was so impressed by her presentation and her very graphic quilts that I wanted to have on in the Collection.  Her work reminds me of both Nancy Crow's early work and the Gees Bend quilts, but still it is uniquely Maria Shell.  She lives at least part of the year off the web in the wilds of Alaska and I wonder if the brilliance of her color choices is a reaction to the white/grey/black of the landscape.
Visit the SAQA auction at www.SAQA.com/auction
The next section opens for bids at 2pm Eastern Time Monday, 09-26-16

"Habanero Mini"  Maria Shell - Alaska  2014  12"x12"
Machine pieced and quilted, vintage and contemporary textiles, batting, faced.

Click on image to see entire quilt.


#   #   #

6 comments:

Loretta said...

Olay! I would love to see this in person so to get the full impact of this very colorful and graphic design quilt!

kate said...

The site where she goes off grid has amazing colors...especially in summer.flowers..blue skys..birch and soruce..majestic as only alaska can be. Maria is my inspiration for quilting...

Maria Shell said...

Thank you Del for the lovely things you have said about my work. I am honored to be in your collection!

kate said...

The site where she goes off grid has amazing colors...especially in summer.flowers..blue skys..birch and soruce..majestic as only alaska can be. Maria is my inspiration for quilting...

slkunze said...

Maria is such an artist and my favorite quilter. Congratulations on a superb choice!

Vivien Zepf said...

Another gorgeous quilt y the talented Maria Shell! So glad you have it in your collection!