Sunday, May 7, 2017

Jacaranda Tree Ruth McDowell 05-07-17

The Jacaranda trees are starting to bloom - seems a little early, usually they bloom in early June.  Guess it is the climate change.   I have posted Ruth McDowell's "Jacaranda Tree" quilt several times before.  Read the post at
 
"Jacaranda Tree" Ruth B. McDowell 1996  45"W x 39"L
Ruth's color is a little more violet than blue because this was before digital and the pictures she took with her 35mm film camera would come out with more red tones than blue. 
The pictures below were taken with my digital camera over the past few years. 
 


#   #   #
 

4 comments:

Loretta said...

I don't remember seeing this quilt before....Ruth certainly caught the essence of its beauty. Thank you once again for sharing your beautiful quilts.

sonja said...

The jacarandas begin to bloom in March/April here.We used to go to an orchid show that was held in a grange hall in central Oahu and be treated to the courtyard of lilac/periwinkle/lavender blossom on the trees and the carpet below. It is hard to describe the color really so i think Ruth's quilt states it quite well.
lovely quilt !! Thanks you for sharing!!!!

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

I love her use of plaids in this one!

jeanne Marklin said...

I saw a street lined with Jacarandas in Lisbon and was so taken by them. I lived in San Diego for 8 years but I was much younger then and don't think I fully appreciated their beauty. This is a lovely quilt!