Friday, July 5, 2019

"America From the Heart" 07-04-19

This afternoon I was looking for a book on my quilting bookshelves and came across the book "America From the Heart: Quilters Remember September 11, 2001".

It seems so sad on this day of saber rattling in Washington, DC. to page through those quilts made to help each of us endure the shock, horror, and pain of that terrible attack on our nation and the murder of so many innocent civilians.  

The quilts first appeared together at the Quilt Festival in Houston in October 2001.  The book originated there and was supported by Karey Bresenhan who wrote the foreword and published by C&T Publishers in 2002.  There were about 300 quilts and I am proud that mine was one of them.  It isn't my best work, I did a lot of crying at that time in my life and found it difficult to concentrate on anything.  

The book is full of flag images which seemed somehow reassuring to me on this rather frightening 4th of July with tanks rolling on the Mall in Washington.  We are, I think, skating on thin ice these days in our relations with other countries.  I fear what may be in our future and these quilt certain represent what could happen.  

If you have a copy on your shelf, take a look at these works of our hands and our hearts.  



"New Growth"  Del Thomas  2001  14"x14"
Commercial and hand-dyed cottons, cotton thread and batting.
Machine pieced and quilted.  Fusing.  

#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Thank you Del so much for this reminder of such a horrible event in our history. I, too, dislike so much the saber rattling that's going on and I fear for my daughters and my grandsons. What kind of world are they living through now and, my goodness, what will the world be like for them in their future. My life, though it had its ups and downs, was never such an unhappy place. As yours did, my life began during the WWII, but saw it completed a good number of years later. I still remember black outs, air raid sirens, my mother sewing/beading military service pins for those who came home and for families who's sons and daughters did not. I remember seeing small flags with large gold stars hanging in the windows of many in my neighbor. Sad times, and it is my deepest hope that our country doesn't experience this again nor any of the other military conflicts we've entered to save the world! The next one I fear will be devastating! May our world leaders come to their senses some one of these days. Del, take care and stay well. xo