Monday, July 22, 2019

Sue Benner dye/painting class 1st Day 07-22-19

A hard working day getting everything set up and learning about mixing the dry dye powder to get the colors one wants.  I'm afraid I am a bit flummoxed and wish I had more chemistry in school.  Of course, how could I remember any of it after more than 60 years!  Sue is very thorough and gives out detailed instructions in her classroom materials.  I just need to read, and re-read, and read again!  Here are some pictures from our day. 

First, though, this is the street view of where I am staying, Garden Isles.  The building on the left is the #1 cabin where I stayed several years ago, just to the right behind the cars is the #2 cabin where I am this trip.  It is smaller, but just as charming and cozy.

Our classroom when everyone was at lunch.  The weather is lovely, if a bit on the windy side, so most everyone sat outside to eat. 

After careful instructions Sue trusted each of us to mix the dry dye powder with the other ingredients to make the concentrated dyes.  We then take small portions and dilute them to the correct solution for painting or printing. 

Unusual sight - Sue with her hair down!  It had come loose and she stopped to tie it back up on top of her head and I just happened to have my camera out. 

Most of the class gathered around to watch Sue's demonstration. 

Sue showing different techniques for applying dye - spraying, brushing, using other tools.

Adding different colors.  "Mark Making"

One glove on, one glove off.  Sue has done this for many years and doesn't get much dye on herself.   She tells us to experiment with our "Mark Making".

#   #   #


1 comment:

Carol said...

I love all your photos, Del. I didn’t take chemistry either. Too bad we can’t get a do over! I applaud you for trying to learn something new. It’s hard work!