Friday, November 29, 2019

Friday Food 11-29-19

With Thanksgiving it has been a food week, hasn't it?  But before the big eating day my friend Liz went with KoKo and me to Tehachapi, just a day trip to deliver some things to a friend.  We enjoyed our day with beautiful clear weather, a stop at Five Stars Quilt Shop, and lunch at the Kohnen's Country Bakery, which is almost across Tehachapi Street from the quilt shop.   The location was once a restaurant with apple in the name and we had enjoyed a lunch there previously. 


We looked at the menu and thought the Poor Boy for two sounded interesting so we ordered it.  However we just read "Sheepherder's" and miss the word "loaf".  I stood in line and placed the order and then returned to our table waiting for my name to be called.  When they announced my name Liz went in to pick up the sandwich.  She came back with a large plate with another plate upturned over the contents. 

It was, indeed, a Sheepherder's LOAF.  For size, compare the sandwich to the individual size bag of potato chips.  We found it so funny we laughed a lot before tackling the thing.

Which was stuffed with everything they promised.

Impossible to get our mouths around it so we each divided one quarter of the loaf into two stacks of bread on the bottom and whatever we could pile on time to take a bite.  And, of course we each took a quarter of the sandwich home.  I finished mine up today and it tasted wonderful.  

I must admit we also split a lemon bar, which was unlike any I have eaten before.  It has a thick shortbread bottom, a layer of lemon curd and a crumb topping.  Different, but tasty. 

I think I will save pictures of my two Thanksgiving plates for latter when we aren't all satiated with turkey and trimmings. 

Hope you all had the Thanksgiving Day you wished for. 

#   #   #



No comments: