Friday, August 13, 2021

Friday Food 08-13-21

Wednesday I met three friends who drove up from San Diego to view a quilt exhibit at the Newport Beach Public Library and to have lunch.  Two of my friends have quilts in this showing of about 30 quilts from the Quilts on the Wall group.  I hope to post some pictures  over the weekend, but I am still quilting on a quilt that has a looming deadline, so I need to work on that most of the time.  

Andrea chose the restaurant because she seems to find restaurants that are good and different.  We went to Cappy's Cafe on Pacific Coast Highway at the north end of Newport Beach.  She told us it was a biker and surfer hangout and I had my doubts.  We ate outside and my seat faced the back of the building which has a fantastic mural of the beach, a big wave and surfers.  I almost felt I was actually looking at the ocean.  There is no real ocean view since the cafe is on the inland side of PCH.  There were barefoot diners, maybe surfers, and the bikers were bicyclists.  Very casual and quiet.  The service was a little spotty, but the food was great. 

Nelda had the Mahi Mahi tacos with a side of beans. 

Andrea enjoyed her Ruben sandwich with a side of onion rings.

Deb and I each ordered the Prime Rib Melt with au jus.  I had a side of excellent coleslaw and Deb chose the onion rings and let me have a taste.  If you go to Cappy's DO have the onion rings, they are excellent.   There are extensive breakfast selections and I imagine the place is packed in the morning, especially on weekends.  Their hours are 7am to 3pm - 7 days a week. 

The day was a break from the pandemic..  We all wore masks except when we ate and I keep hoping that all those other diners were vaccinated and covid free. 

#   #   #

No comments: