Friday, August 26, 2022

Beach Views 08-26-22

I have received complaints!  Well, just a few.  But I have wondered if anyone is still reading this blog which I haven't posted since the 5th!  I will post for a few days and see if anyone comments or otherwise indicates they are checking in.

About a week ago I went to Dana Point for the Surfside QGuild board meeting.  It is about 10am until Noon and I need some sustenance before the hour plus drive home.  I swung through the nearby Starbucks,  parked in the first row handicap parking at Doheny Beach and watched the beach goers while I ate.  So interesting to see the loads of paraphernalia those beach lovers carried down to the sand.  Lots of surfers in the water and on the beach.  I know that there are teachers with student surfers, but also singles and pairs, families, old people and even a few dogs on leashes. 
  
There is a lifeguard station and just to the left a volleyball net.


The grassy area at lower left is marsh grass and a small pond.  Egrets flew in and out, but I wasn't fast enough with my cell phone to catch any of them.  The dark area at lower right is my sideview mirror. 

They have set up their umbrellas and even small tents, coolers, picnic baskets, and beach chairs.  The bird in the sky is a brown pelican. 

A guy (left) and a gal haul their surfboards down to the water. 

The sandy path goes down a little slope and then up again to the actual beach. The guy is loaded down with beach chairs strapped on his back and totes in either hand.  She carries the umbrella and has a tote bag in front of her.  Whew! 

I am parked in the shade under the eucalyptus trees and there is just a gentle breeze off the ocean.  Lovely day. 

#   #   #






11 comments:

Kathleen Fields said...

I check in every day and miss your observations and pictures when you skip a day or two, but this big stretch was a mite too long. Glad you're back!

Mary Ann said...

Nice to see there is another universe. Other than the midwest!

Gayle M P said...

I also check in almost daily although I rarely comment. I enjoy reading your chat about KoKo and life in California and comparing it with life here in New Zealand. I also enjoy your quilt photos and commentaries. This is what brought me here to start with.

Sally Morris said...

I check everyday but don't comment often either. When you don't post for awhile, I really worry about you. (We're the same age.) I have never forgotten taking a class with you (Sharyn Craig"s) at Asilomar one year, or the time you were Featured Quilter at the EBHQ show with your Del Thomas Collection. I enjoy the photos you share from your collection. I've given up reading most daily Bloggers but not yours.

abelian said...

What a pretty day that was! Thanks for the photos of my beloved California beach. I also read all your posts; I subscribe to your blog with Feedly. Dottie

Anonymous said...

I had checked in every day. . Worried about you. Glad you are back.

Sherrie Spangler said...

I check my reading list blogs every few days and always enjoy yours, so keep it up!

sonja said...

what Sherrie said!!!
I too check my reading list blogs every few days
and always enjoy yours, so keep it up!

Diane Perin said...

I still read your blog and enjoy it as always! Blog reading is my Sunday morning ritual so I read a week’s worth at a time. I love knowing what you are up to!

Rebecca said...

I see all your posts, as you are on my blog feed. Sometimes it takes a day or two. I enjoy acknowledging the same extreme (or not) weather, and reading about restaurants you go to, and the many lives of Froggy, etc. I thought of you when I read a pretty good review of a new restaurant at Liberty Station, but believe you already have favorites there.

Sometimes I can't comment. I will be on my phone and type in a comment, and it will ask "comment as..." and it takes me away to corroborate my identity, and when I come back, the message is gone. I've given up trying on the phone.

Martha Ginn said...

Hi, Del,
You're in my Reading List below my blog but when I go weeks without posting or checking my own blog, I don't see yours either. So I do catch-up sometimes, like now. I'm glad you have loyal reader friends. It's so easy to post a quick photo on FB and I neglect my blog--not as disciplined as you. Keep at it!