Monday, July 24, 2023

Cactus Blooming 07-24-23

On the next street over these cacti grow in a  tangle of bushes.  In 2021 I was amazed  one day to see them covered with blooms.  It was June 18th.  Last year,2022 I didn't see a single bloom.  This past Saturday, July 22nd, I discovered one flower down near the ground.

(My shadow looks like  cartoon character!)

This one flower is larger than those in 2021. 

Two blooms and a bud in 2021, right at the top of the plant. 

I wonder why the one bloom is so late this year.  I had almost given up checking when we were on our walk.  Because there is more shade on the other side of the street we usually walk there.  And why just one flower this year when there were to many in 2021?  These mysteries keep my mind working.  Trivia, yes, but brain whirls for an answer.  

#   #   #

2 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Cacti are like that -- I think they just respond to the unique weather conditions of each year.

Rebecca L said...

It may be later this year for the same reason as the jacarandas--needing lots of heat.
I'm curious why they were so bloom-y in 2021. Was the weather different? It certainly was this year, and I would think THIS would be the unusual year!