Friday, September 8, 2023

Friday Food 09-08-23

 I love  salads, but am always a little leery when eating out because of my allergy to sulfites. They are frequently  used to keep  the lettuce  and other veggies looking fresh.  Salad bars are the  very  worst so I avoid them. But better restaurants usually don't use sulfites on their food.  If  in doubt I ask, but don't always receive a firm answer. It is  worse outside of California due to the different regulations in different states.  I don't make elaborate salads at  home - all that chopping, ick.  Our  temps are on the rise this week so I am  thinking salads - maybe Fitness Grill again!

Tasty crunch with chicken and cheese on top and, as usual, the dressing on the side.



Grilled tuna and violets.  Can't really taste the violets, but they are a delight to the eye!


This is more like what I make at home - two ingredients with rice vinegar and olive oil on the side.  A little fresh parsley if I have it.


Tomatoes, radishes, broccoli, blueberries, provolone, and  greens..
Got a little fancy here.


This recipe came from a Facebook friend in Australia in 2009 and it is my favorite summer salad, worth all the peeling and chopping.  
 
There aren't any exact measurements, but this is what I use for just one dinner size serving:
3 - 4 radishes sliced
half a small can of sliced black olives
1/2 naval orange cut into small pieces
2 cups of watermelon squares - about an inch.
a couple hands full of mixed greens OR baby spinach OR what have you.
Toss with a dressing made with olive oil and fresh lemon juice. 



A beet salad at Solare Ristorante in Liberty Station, San Diego.
This is a delightful combination and I always  intend on trying to duplicate it at home, but haven't so far.  It tastes so cool on a hot day. 

#   #   #



3 comments:

abelian said...

I just added canned beets to my shopping list! I’d forgotten all about them. Dottie

Loretta said...

Cold soups are also delightful for a change...I love making gazpacho...using a chilled can of diced tomatoes with the juice and sometimes add a 1/2 - 1 cup chicken broth. All chilled in the fridge for my dinner and left overs for lunch. I am a summer salad person!!! Delightful!

Sherrie Spangler said...

These all look delicious and VERY colorful and healthy. I'm embarrassed to say that I had a frozen pizza last night.