Monday, August 27, 2007

Drive up Hwy 1 - Morro Bay to Monterey

Sunday was a long day, I drove with Elizabeth Barton as my passenger from San Diego to Monterey and inland to San Juan Bautista. We turned off Hwy 101 at San Luis Obispo and picked up Hwy 1 at Morro Bay. The drive from there up Hwy 1 was gorgeous. There were enough clouds in the sky to keep the hot sun shaded most of the time and I didn't have the sun in my eyes except for a few angles. We stopped at some viewpoints, especially to watch the elephant seals gamboling in the surf... at least I think that is what they were doing! We had lunch at Jeannie's in Montecito - their chicken pesto sandwich is beyond delicious, but ya gotta love garlic! And then we had dinner at the Leakey house in San Juan Bautista. Mary had prepared a delicious chicken soup w/lots of vegetables and crunchy toasted double cheese bread. She is the best cook I know! After that eleven hour drive I slept well last night, but have been dragging my tail today. I keep saying I am too old to do those marathon drives, but I go ahead and do them anyway.

Our class with Elizabeth Barton starts tomorrow afternoon at Asilomar, so we will all be staying there through Sunday. Then a few days more to get past Labor Day weekend before Elizabeth flies home to Georgia and I drive home to Placentia - via the 'super highway', I-5. That will be about a five hour drive and that will be more than enough. By the time I am home again I will be a year older - 69! Where have the years gone? Inside my mind I am still twenty-four, except for the pains and crotchets of an ageing body!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: