Friday, August 22, 2008

Nerium oleander

When I was a child my sister and I rode the train to Los Angeles to visit our paternal grandparents. I spent most of my time with my nose stuck to the window, seeing amazing and beautiful sights going by. One thing I loved then and still do are the oleander hedges on the median strip of Hwy 99. Oleanders are ubiquitous in the Central Valley and all of Southern California; of all the 400 varieties we see mostly pink, white and a sort of peach. The plant requires little care, tolerates poor soil and is resistant to drought. Since it is one of the most poisonous plants it has few natural enemies, primarily the oleander caterpillar/moth. The plant was known in antiquity and originated around the Mediterranean.

I believe this is the variety Ed Barr. A house in the neighborhood has a towering hedge along the street which is currently covered with blooms, it would be more impressive if they pruned judiciously. This variety has no fragrance.

I think the flowers are lovely with their whirling petals, pure white color and the little fringe around the center - sort of like eyelashes. I keep taking pictures because one day I think I will make an oleander quilt.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

meggie said...

They are so attractive. They grow prolifically here in OZ, but the knowledge of the poisonous quality, has dampened the enthusiasm for planting them.
They are very poisonous when burnt, as a family of immigrants found out to their cost.