Sunday, October 12, 2008

Quilts from TCQC 10-12-08

I am designating Sunday as the day I will post a quilt from the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection.
"Red Nest" Claire Waguespack Fenton 2006 11"W x 9"L

I am very attracted to Claire's work, especially those she calls nests. Her artist statement includes the comment: "the nest, the ultimate habitat, symbolic of safety and security: a snug refuge.” So, you see, she has an elegant way of defining her ideas. Claire has lived all of her life in the southern part of Louisiana and after Katrina she increasingly incorporated the hurricane and its aftermath in her designs. Ike went over her area and I know that she is okay, but nothing about her home or her artworks. I purchased this piece from Claire in 2006 after checking in on her website to see what she was creating. Visit her website at www.clairefenton.com

After the Collection started getting large (now 100+) I divided my records into quilts smaller than 24" in either direction and quilts 24" or larger. Somehow it makes it easier for me to find the records and the quilts.

Posted by Picasa





3 comments:

dee said...

I really like her work very much. Your collection is amazing. I hope Corky is much better by now. They're so precious and fragile these little creatures.

Jenny Bowker said...

It is a wonderful quilt Del - and I am looking forward to slowly viewing the rest of the collection.

Jenny

cfent said...

thanks so much, del. you inspired me to finally update my blog...
now to find time to actually make more art!