Friday, December 26, 2008

Decorations/Cookies 12-25-08

Here are the final Christmas pictures for this year.There are many of this snowman trio around the neighborhood.

This is the wreath on my door, my only decoration, I do it for my neighbors and my wonderful postal carrier.

There always seem to be palms wrapped in lights. This is a palm that doesn't grow more than about ten feet - easier to decorate than the towering palms that are so common. The wind was blowing pretty good this evening as I walked and this tree was just twinkling away. Very pretty.

When I celebrated Christmas one of my favorite parts was baking goodies to give to friends and neighbors.... and for my husband and I to eat. I don't do any baking, but maybe one day I will get the urge to do it again. Fortunately, I have several friends who like to fatten me up every year.


Liz always makes fudge, peanut brittle, gingersnaps and some kind of drop cookie. I don't know why I didn't get any fudge this year - boohoo.

Teresa, a member of the Book Group, also bakes for the Holidays. This shows one of everything she brought me on a large Christmas plate. As always, everything is very tasty - although I haven't tried the little loaf yet. I am going to slice some for breakfast in the morning and then hide it from myself.

Liz also makes stollen which is delicious when sliced, toasted and slathered with real butter! I have put half of this huge loaf in the freezer lest I eat it all in one day!

I had a very quiet Christmas Day. The rain started about one in the morning and was on and off all day, but our local total was only about three-fourths of an inch which didn't cause problems in the burn areas. The sky was clear to the west by five-thirty so I could watch the bright white light of Venus as I walked. There may be sprinkles tomorrow, but not much and then clear and warm until after January first. I don't regret not going to the desert, although the giant storm didn't materialize. Even with a little bit of rain the pavement is slick and most drivers don't understand SLOW DOWN, so there are lots of fender benders and some very serious accidents. Corky's parents will drop him off with me on Saturday when they drive back to LBeach and then I will return him there on Monday.

# # #

1 comment:

dee said...

Merry Christmas Del. I wish I'd thought to freeze half of the stollen before I ate it all.
Hope you are well and that your sunshine comes back soon. You've certainly added some sunnshine to my life with your wonderful posts all year long.