Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sunday at Spinnaker Bay 12-14-08

Corky was going to be alone yesterday whilst his parents had Xmas events to attend, so I went down to stay with him. We had a lovely walk about 4:30 pm when it was starting to get dark and the Xmas lights were on.

This is just a few streets down looking along one of the "U"s that stick out into the water. The houses here are all zero lot line so they only have a very small yard/patio on one side of the house and a patio in back on the water.

It was a spectacular sunset which disproved the old saying "Red sky at dawning, sailor take warning. Red sky at night, sailor's delight". In the foreground is a Duffy electric boat with a blue canopy - they don't go out in the ocean, just in the bays and canals. These boats are moored around one of the "U"s behind the houses.

When we finished our walk I looked out the back windows overlooking Marine Stadium and the sunset was different but still awesome. the lightest portion is out over the ocean beyond Belmont Shore.
In the last few weeks I have take over a dozen pictures of these light wrapped trees on the street that goes past the end of the Marine Stadium. They are beautiful and gaudy - not close together so there is space to "rest your eyes". But I still don't have the trick to taking night pictures. I've braced the camera a number of different ways, but guess I should dig out the tripod for my old 35mm. That will probably be steady enough. A neighbor down the street from me always wrapped their olive tree this way and my husband and I always called it the "Festive Broccoli", but they stopped doing it two years ago. I miss it!
It started raining about midnight last night and rained most of the day, both light and heavy. The closest reporting town to Placentia had 2 inches by 11pm. More rain promised for the rest of the week with a severe storm on Wednesday. Hope those sailors are listening to the TV weather and not looking at sunsets!
The Book Group had their Christmas meeting, dinner and gift giving this evening. One of the best we have had in our about 35 years. I'll write about it and show some pictures - maybe tomorrow.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Christine Thresh said...

I like the photo of the light wrapped tree, especially the effect of movement. Yes, try the tripod, but this one is really interesting.
Festive Broccoli -- what fun.