Sunday, December 14, 2008

Another quilt from TCQC 12-14-08

If you see a quilt you would like to buy and it doesn't have a "for sale" sign or a price, just track down the artist and ask. She can say yes or no - you don't know until you ask. She also might offer other similar quilts that are not currently on display and you might like one of those better!

"Durban Dreams" Rosalie Dace 2006 33" square

I saw this quilt in a special exhibit of Rosalie's work at Pacific International Quilt Festival 2006 in Santa Clara. Rosalie was teaching that year, so I went to her classroom during lunch break and asked about this quilt. Fortunately, it was available and I could afford it. She had already promised it for another exhibit, so I had to wait until it was available and she shipped it to me. Her work is unlike that of any artist I know and reminds me of the Hmong applique work, only much richer because Rosalie uses silks and adds beads, rings and other doodads. Interesting quilting.

Here is a detail of the center of the quilt. The square w/the pastel 'log cabin' outlined in rose/violet is a loose flap hanging down over the half circle of yellow.
Her work can also be seen at: www.fireworksart.com/dace.html
a site showing works by So. African fiber and textile artists.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Rayna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rayna said...

The deletion was me - I wish they would let you edit after you've posted a comment. What I wanted to say was that Rosalie's work is terrific and so is she.

Also, I will be in So.Cal in June and I hope we can figure out a way to meet. I'm teaching in Newbury Park.

Gerrie said...

I love Rosalie's work. I took a class from her and it was transformative.

Terry Grant said...

This piece is a glimpse of pure joy! Her work is so purely beautiful. You are lucky to own this! One of her pieces was in a special exhibit at APNQ last summer and I just kept going back and going back to look at it. It outshone every other piece in that huge room IMO.

Anonymous said...

I had the delightful privledge to meet Rosalie at QSDS last year and spent many meals chatting with her. She is one of the most fantastic people I have met and that's saying a lot since 99.9% of the people involved in quilting and QSDS are fantastic. I was lucky enough to get her little quiltlet in the bidding at QSDS and it's what I see as I walk out the door in Chester- it hangs right above my key hooks and always brightens my day.

teri