Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A room at the Westin, Gaslight Qtr 09-08-09

I am in San Diego tonight, staying in a luxurious room at the Westin Hotel (near Horton Plaza). I drove down this afternoon to give a special showing of some of the TCQC quilts to a touring group of English + one Aussie quilting ladies. They attended classes at Empty Spools last week and are on a tour put together by Suzanne Cox, one of the triumvirate of Empty Spools. She is a travel agent in her 'real' live, so doing tours is a natural. All nine ladies seem to be having a good time. I think they enjoyed seeing the quilts. Since I live with these masterpieces all the time perhaps I am become jaded! It always surprises me when someone acts like I 'hung the moon'! But I do remember my first meeting with Ruth McDowell, after having admired her quilts for so long. I felt as though I was in the presence of royalty and her quilts were sacred icons!! Actually, I still sort of feel that way!
I was fortunate to have Nancy Ota and Jan Hirth, quilting friends from Orange County drive down and serve as holders and folders. They were great and made it so much more enjoyable for the 'audience' since they could just sit and admire. As it happens Nancy, Jan and all the others in the room had seen each other at Empty Spools last week, some were even classmates. Enormous thanks to my two Orange County friends.
Suzanne knew that by the time the program was over and we had dinner that I would be too tired to drive the three hours home (after dark!), so she provided this room. I have all the quilts in their wrappings laid out on the 'wrong' half of the bed - plenty of room for me on the 'right' half. I didn't want to have them stacked up all night because the weight of those on top tend to set any little crease in the lower ones. But the bell hop (is that still the proper term?) left the cart, so I will just refold and pile them on in the morning.

There is this odd pillow on the bed, along with two large and two medium normally shaped pillows. I've never seen one before - does it have special purpose? Under one's neck? Between one's knees? In the small of one's back? Do tell!!

And there are these two shower heads! Another first. The sign says that one can save water by using just one head, or push the button on the pipe of the lower one and engage both to enjoy a "Heavenly Shower". I'm going to at least try both - not very 'green', I know, but everyone should experience a "Heavenly Shower" once in their life. Right?
Oh-h-h-h-h, I can hardly wait - I'd better post this and hop in the shower, before I go to sleep in my chair.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Mary said...

Hi Del, Think it is Suzanne and Frank Cox...you must have been very tired when doing you blog. Sounds like all enjoyed your quilts from the TCQC. And how great of Nancy and Jan to assist you! Mary

Loret said...

Your description of "life with Del" is delightful. Thank you for sharing.

jpsam said...

I think it's called a body pillow.
joan