Saturday, September 12, 2009

Gifts - for me? 09-11-09

My family never favored gifts and I suppose the reason I am so uncomfortable when people give me gifts is that I never learned to be a gracious receiver. I just get tongue-tied (yes, I do) and don't know what to say. When the SQG membership gave me an orchid plant after the program in April I was stone faced, even though it was such a lovely surprise. But I was completely rattled when the British/Australian ladies gave me a bag of gifts in San Diego. I hope I said "Thank You" instead of just standing there with my mouth hanging open, I was too stunned to recall. They carried these charming gifts from home. I suppose they intend to fill the empty spots in their luggage with fabric. They were on their way to Rosie's on Wednesday, before their Thursday flights home.
I took a picture when they were still wrapped.

And several pictures of them unwrapped, because I couldn't get them all in the same photo. In the top left corner is a piece of cotton lawn fabric from Liberty of London that wrapped a gift. Then counter clockwise: two packages of quilt image note cards, loose English Breakfast tea in a red "phone box", a bar of Jojoba Oil soap, a jar of eucalyptus body rub, a sparkly beaded tassel (for my scissors?) and a mug from Malvern in the west of England.
Also a linen tea towel from Malvern with images of local historic buildings.

And another linen tea towel from a design by McIntosh.

If any of the ladies read this blog I say again, "Thank You", the gifts are lovely and welcome. And you all were a great audience.

Coincidentally, I once took the train from London to attend a quilt show in Malvern. It was a very nice show with lots of great quilts, friendly quilters and the area was lovely and green. It was held at a sort of fairgrounds, or maybe it was a large equestrian center, and outside here were little booths on wheels that sold food. After I left the show I tried a freshly cooked doughnut and thought I had reached food heaven - I went back for a second one! Good thing it was closing time lest I just stand there and eat them forever. They tasted like those made by our neighbor in Portland, "Gramma Roetz", who cooked doughnuts whilst I was dusting every delicate little treasure in her china cabinet. I thought it was a fantastic way to be 'paid'. I hadn't planned to spend the night in Malvern, but at the train station I discovered I had missed the last train and there was no Sunday train! So, for that night I found a pleasant B&B in a big, old, four-square house. On Sunday I took a cab to a nearby town that had a train to London on Sunday. It was a wonderful little unplanned adventure.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: