Wednesday, April 21, 2010

More birds? 04-19-10

These Lesser Goldfinches were photographed by my friend Liz Williams at her window view feeder in La Habra. Can you see the one in flight in the left center of the picture? I have seen more Goldfinches and House Finches this year than for a very long time. It could be that I am out and about more, but I think that since we have had so much rain (more than twice as much as last year) there is more natural food for the birds in our area and, therefore, more birds..
And we are still having rain! I came home from the Surfside QGuild meeting in Dana Point about 2pm and the sky was crowded with baggy grey clouds - it was about 72F and quite windy. I took a nap, then worked at the computer a bit and when next I looked out around 5:30pm it was raining and only 51F. Since the installation of the 'heavy duty' windows the house stays a more even temperature all the time, so I didn't notice the drop until I went out in the garage for something. Boy, I sure kick myself all the time for not having the garage insulated with the rest of the house. It wouldn't matter so much, but the washer/dryer are in the garage. In the summer it is suffocating to do the laundry and in the winter I have to put a coat on. We live and learn.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Rayna said...

Goodness, who would ever think of insulating a garage? Ours is attached to the house (under our bedroom) and is cold in winter/hot in summer, too.

The sun is finally out in NJ and everything is green -- even my gray car. Ah choo!

Mary Lou Weidman said...

Loved seeing the goldfinch....I think a turquoise background quilt with loads of goldfinch's would make s glorious quilt! Del, I love your viewpoint!