Friday, August 6, 2010

Sisters 08-06-10

I was looking through some pictures on Picasa, thinking what I should delete, if anything. When I first started doing photos on the computer I saved everything, but over the years I have learned what to dump and what to retouch and keep. Today I came across this picture of my sister (now 75) and me. I never hear from her and rarely see her - maybe every three or four years if I drive up to Oregon. The only time I know of that she visited SCalifornia as an adult was in about 1958 - she didn't inherit a wandering foot as I did. Our maternal grandfather was a wanderer.
This was Aug 17, 2004, when I was driving to Cheyenne, Wyo, via Seattle (for APNQ), Portland (to see family), and then east through the Columbia Gorge. I took Ellamarie, my sister, her daughter and two grandchildren out to lunch at a place of their choosing. People say we resemble each other, but I don't see it. She has the blue eyes, up-tipped nose and slender frame of our father's family, and I have the hulking physique of our maternal ancestors. This was before I had my eyelids lifted so that I could actually see out of my eyes when I looked down!

I saw Ellamarie when I went up to see Aunt Dorothy last November - she looked about the same as she does in this picture - maybe a little grey hair now. Both our maternal grandmother at 85 and mother at 65 had very little grey hair, whereas everyone on the paternal side developed grey hair in their 30s. Guess neither of us has the grey-hair gene. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

I liked your smile in your August 2 picture. It lights up your whole face.

Rayna said...

This picture says oodles about your relationship, even without having had the history. I will say that you both look younger than you are - so you obviously both got the youth gene. She may be smaller but you got the pretty genes, m'dear.

June said...

Was that the year you stopped in Portland and Jer and you and I went to dinner? It seems only yesterday. Time does fly, for sure. I love the hat and shirt you are wearing -- great style.