Friday, November 12, 2010

Autumn Color 11-12-10

Autumn color in Long Beach. This is a great time to put out bedding plants, especially if we have a little rain and not much dry wind. Nice contrast with the purple recycle can.

But we do have REAL autumn color - these leaves from the liquidamber tree (aka Sweet Gum) are the most common, but there are others. They all have a short color span - right now the fruitless pear trees are dropping leaves of about the same colors as the liquidamber.

My friend Ruth Powers and I have been looking for several years for fabric with leaves in autumn colors on a blue background. No luck!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Martha Ginn said...

What an interesting (and new to me) name for the Sweet Gum tree--liquidamber. I have loved these leaves for all my life (not so much the pesky sharp seed pods, but they have a beauty about them, too. My most favorite tree for its color is the Black Gum. Its branches run very horizontal and it is one of the first trees to turn brilliant red--at least in Mississippi. Now you have me on the lookout for fall leaves on blue!