Thursday, January 6, 2011

Looking back 01-06-11

 
Delmay and Ellamarie Spencer, sisters - about 1941 - '42.

This picture was taken in front of the chimney on the house my father was building in Portland, Oregon.  He died  of kidney failure in the fall of 1942, so the picture must have been taken sometime that summer.  My hair is in pigtails,which was my hairstyle until I was in the 8th grade when I went behind every one's back and had it cut in a duck's butt.  My sister's hair is naturally curly - still!
I don't have much contact with my family.  They mostly live in Portland - my sister lives in the house our father built.  Every year or so I hear from my sister or her daughter, who has a family of her own.  My sister never wanted me to have anything to do with her kids (four boys & one girl) and I have lived in California for fifty years, so I don't actually know any of them   For some unknown reason one of her sons, who has a family of his own, has become interested in photos from years ago.  The son's wife called me yesterday, I did meet her once years ago, to ask about family photos.  I only have a few and haven't looked at them for years - not even sure where they are right now.  She e-mailed about twelve photos, most of which I have never seen before.  I took some time today to try to caption the photos - a not-fun trip down memory lane.  Funny how looking at those images brought back memories that have been hidden for decades.   I wish they were still hidden - after all these years I can't go back and make connections again.  What a downer this is.  
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

You were a cute! I can tell from this picture!! Darling!

Susan Turney said...

Hi Del,
I read your posts every day and this one was tough to read. But, you've obviously lived a great life in CA and I hope you can concentrate on that. Get the captioning out of the way and try to remember that each experience forms who we are and you've obviously turned not-so-good experiences into a good life with lots of friends and family (and a dog)! who love you.

Nancy Hepp said...

I also read your blog every day and found myself wanting to send you a hug. Try to remember that our past is just that, our past, and today is today. Many of us have dark things in our closets left from childhood that should best be left in the closet. I suspect there are many of us that look forward to starting our day with you! So consider yourself hugged.
Hugs & blessings coming your way!

Gerrie said...

We are about the same age. I had my hair in French braids when I was small. My sister had the blonde thick curls. I was always jealous.

I feel badly that visiting these photos from your past is so painful.

Loretta said...

Good Morning Del, I, too, believe the past is just that and we live at the moment. And, at this moment our lives are filled with love from our friends and our love for LIFE. Hugs to you dear Del.

Rayna said...

SIgh...you are still just as cute as you were in that picture, but I feel sad that those pix brought back memories you would rather not have had unearthed.

Corky said...

What darling girls. So sorry that the relationship has not continuted. They don't know what they're missing.

Terry Grant said...

Sibling relationships are so complicated and really infathomable. Friends can be as much as sisters, but there is something about a real sibling--our last connection to our parents, I suppose. I wish your sister knew what a kind soul she could have had in her life.

soot said...

Del - I am so sorry that all these hurtful memories and sad feelings have come up. It's amazing how we can be so deeply hurt by our siblings. I don't know all that happened in your relationship, but, if I could - if it didn't hurt me too terribly, I would strive for a little e-mail contact with her son. Perhaps you could build up a small relationship with him. Something like this can be quite precious; it's amazing how much the contacts have meant to me that I have made in researching my family. Who knows what might come of your small relationship with him? Perhaps she would write you and try to get on better footing with you. You never know. My heart aches for you.
Kathy