Wednesday, February 9, 2011

An Evening with Lisa See 02-08-11

My friend Carol Bednar and I went to a fundraising dinner this evening at  "Bayside", a high class restaurant in Newport Beach.  The funds raised go to "Literary Orange" a one-day event featuring panels, keynote speakers, book signings and a chance to rub elbows with authors and readers of every ilk.  This will be the fifth year the event is held - April 9th at UC-Irvine. Attendance is limited to 500 and the spaces fill very rapidly.  I suspect the event is closed, but you can check at www.literaryorange.org
 Tonight featured a presentation by Lisa See, an author of international repute.  I have read all of her books and those of her mother Carolyn See, who once wrote a highly rated column in the LATimes.

 
Lisa See graciously allowed photos and signed books after her talk and our dinner.  I wondered when she was allowed to eat, but to be honest I'm not sure she does - she is extremely thin and looked quite tired.   She gave her talk with only a glance at notes just as she began.  I was fascinated by her comments on writing and about her family which is both white and Chinese and goes back to the early Chinese laborers who came to the USA to work on the Transcontinental Railroad.  She answered the question, "Which of your books is your favorite?", by comparing them to children - so how can one be a favorite?  Questioned further, she said that currently "Shanghai Girls" is the one she favors.  It will be released as a film this June.   But I think my favorite will always be her first book "On Gold Mountain" which is the story of her family and their experiences in coming to the US and building a life.   
 
You can see that Carol is the only 'bright eyed' one among this trio!
Carol Bednar, Lisa See, Del Thomas. 

 I don't mean to look so MEAN - guess I better watch that!  We sat at a table for six with two couples who were chatty and interesting.  The dinner was superb and so was the dessert - I wanted to lick my plate!  Just shows what a peasant I am at heart!  With each course they served different wines that were offered by a winery in Oregon - I had a small taste of a white and a red, but since I don't drink I mostly inhaled the fragrance.  I don't even taste the Shiraz, but I had an extremely deep inhale and I think I would have been my favorite, especially with the rich chocolate cakelet with melted chocolate center.   I admit I was a little shy about taking a picture of my lovely plate, but I regret not doing so.   Steak, potatoes, asparagus, carrot, and an ultra-fine slice (lengthwise) of potato, I think it was baked, standing upright in the mashed potatoes.  I can't even remember the last time I had a steak - it was heavenly. 
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

dee said...

How wonderful to meet Lisa. Gold Mountain has been on my shelf since it came out. It's a wonderful story.
If you enjoyed that I would highly recommend "Distant Land of My Father" by Bo Caldwell. You can probably get it on Amazon or your library. It's not a new book but I've read it several times over the years and there are not many that I re-read with such pleasure.

Lovely evening you had there

Rayna said...

Never read Gold Mountain but loved Shanghai Girls and did hear her interviewed on NPR when the book first came out; fascinating.

Your dinner sounds divine. I can't remember the last time I had dinner out.

hugs,

June said...

Glad to hear of your literary adventures. It's been a long time since I had one -- outside my bedside reading, I mean.

Your photo made me chuckle -- that's what I look like (only much much worse) in most photos; when I try to smile, I just look oogie. Some of us weren't meant for the photography era, methinks.

I always like your food descriptions, although I would have drunk the wine. I admit to a serious weakness about wine with good conversation and good friends. And they say it's healthy, so long as you are moderate. I always note those comments -- underline with red pen:-) You need to come back to Oregon so we can go out to dinner together. I think we owe you one (or more); and your taste is so good that I could trust just following your example.