Thursday, February 10, 2011

Oceanside Museum of Art - Visions and leftovers. 02-09-11

Yesterday Mary rode down from San Juan Bautista with Joe, who went to the Anaheim Convention Center today. Today Mary rode with me to Oceanside to see the Visions quilts.  She was concerned that I had already been several times, but I reassured her - I usually enjoy the Visions exhibit at least half a dozen times during the time it is open.  I know I will never again see those quilts in that grouping, and I want to have each one imprinted in my memory.  We enjoyed seeing them together.  I was surprised there were maybe twelve or fifteen people while we were there, but the docent said there has been a good number of visitors every day she has volunteered.  Nice!  After we had examined every quilt in detail and sat on the bench for twenty minutes or more admiring Velda Newman's "Zinnia", we walked over to the Oceanside Civic Center with its beautiful tiled pool.  Don't know what has happened to the seagulls, they have been missing the last few times I have been there, and they were missing today.  But the camellias are in bloom and some are just gorgeous.

 
These dark salmon pink ones are doubles blooming in a clump at the end of a branch - an entire bouquet!  I should have put my hand, or Mary's, in the picture so you could see how large they are.  The background tiles are maybe 1.75" square. 


This pale pink variety is fringed on the edge of the petals and has lovely tiny "hands" upraised in the center. Perfectly lovely. 

We drove south on I-5 to Carlsbad for lunch at Sammy's Wood Pit Pizza.  I like their food and today I had the chopped chicken salad which tasted so fresh and cool with the Santa Ana winds blowing outside. Mary had skewered shrimp served atop a little salad.   It was a very sunny,  clear day with views of the mountains topped with a little snow.   
 
I didn't photograph the presentation of my steak dinner last evening, so tonight you get the leftovers!  This is about half of the steak, which I sliced tonight and ate cold, with the warmed over potatoes and fresh microwaved broccoli with a little shredded New Zealand white cheddar (from TJoe's).  The waiter even put the 'embellishment' in the box - it is the very thin slice of potato with the 'viewing' holes which stood up straight at the restaurant, but was too floppy as a leftover. A perfectly delicious dinner tonight - as it was last night.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Rayna said...

What a beautiful presentation! I have not yet learned the art of doing that -- especially for myself. Maybe you have another career awaiting you as a food stylist.

Thanks for the flower pix - as I look at the dirty mountains of snow out there I realize that even in summer, we do not have camelias. At least, I don't think so.

Karen Rips said...

I went down to see the show againon the 4th with some friends who hadn't seen it. What a difference from opening day when it was so crowded, I was able to look at th pieces from all different angles which was wonderful. This week we ventured down to the Visions museum in San Diego to see the show with Dominie Nash and Jeanne Lyons Butler, I thought it was wonderful, the contrast between the two artists.