Monday, February 14, 2011

Quilt from TCQC by Els Vereycken 02-13-11

This is the last of the quilts that I added to the TCQC during the Studio Art Quilt Associates online auction last autumn. 

"Winter"  Els Vereycken  2010  12" x 12"
Gray ink/paint on white cotton with black stitching.

 
A very plain back.  I suspect Els used a fabric from her "fabric library" that she didn't think she would ever use on the front of a quilt.  Notice that she turned up the bottom half inch of the image on the front of the quilt.
I was attracted to this piece because of the simplicity of the design and execution.  It is one of those works that is so striking from a distance and pulls me in closer to see the detail. 
Els lives in Belgium, but doesn't have a website that I can find. But here are a few websites that show some of her quilts.  http://www.quiltingdaily.com/media/p/15682.aspx  http://www.howoriginal.net/Snowflakes/artist_pages/els_vereycken.htm  http://www.quiltingdaily.com/media/p/2836.aspx

Linda Colsh tells me Els is in the group  http://www.q-art.be/  with her - check it out.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Linda Colsh said...

Oh my gosh, Del, you bought my favorite work from the SAQA auction last year! Els is a dear, dear friend, so lovely, and a brilliantly creative artist. I feel so lucky that we have been together many years with Lutgard Gerber-Billiau, Marie-Paul Moonen, Clairette Dubois and Monique Gilbert as the art quilt group Q.Art Belgium. Thank you for posting Els' piece! We lived scenes like this here in December. Our group will be showing in Beaujolais in April and Vissenaken in May so anyone in the area can see more of Els Vereycken's work--she has some great new pieces ready. Enjoy this piece, Del, made by an artist who sees the world in a very special way.

Unknown said...

what a nice comment from my friend Linda.
Els

Karen Stiehl Osborn said...

This was one of my favorite pieces as well. I'm so glad you added it to your collection. Like you, I was drawn to the simplicity of it, and it reminds me of our cornfields after harvest, when they are covered with snow. Wonderful acquisition!

Karen said...

That's the piece I wanted! I'm relly glad it went to a good home.

June said...

Really a classic in its simplicity and sophistication. The composition is perfect (and actually "classic" with those diagonals). And the overlapping of the horizontal stitching in the foreground with the diagonal stubs keeps it from being static. Nice choice -- I have to agree with the others who spoke.

Unknown said...

Wow! We all have such good taste! I loved the simplicity and texture on this as well and wondered who wound up with it! Good job, to both you and Els!