Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Red 02-21-11

Someone (June?) said something about the birds picking the holly berries which were very red.  Perhaps that is what set my eyes for red when Corky and I were walking in his neighborhood yesterday. 

 
This is Nandina or "Heavenly Bamboo" and the berries seem to be particularly abundant and very red this year.  Some years there are few berries.  The leaves are especially bright in the fall and winter if we have  frost at some point.


 
And I noticed how bright the twigs of the eucalyptus are right now.  This is a fallen branch from all the heavy winds we have had the last week or so.   Some varieties have very bright red twigs, but the trunks are grey and silver and white and yellow and....  almost any color.  A fascinating variety of shapes and colors.

I also took a picture of a pot of screaming red cyclamen on someone's patio, but it was too blurry to use.  I'll be there again tomorrow, so I'll try for a better shot. 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Gerrie said...

I was noticing the abundance of red in nature on my walk, too.

Suzanne Kistler said...

I drove up 99 to Fresno yesterday and was shocked to see that they are chopping down all the eucalyptus on both sides of the freeway. WHY?? Are they finally going to add more lanes? or are they just committing tree-a-cide?