Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Quilt Festival - Long Beach 08-08-11

Did you miss me last night?  My broadband connection wouldn't work, so I just went to bed.  Today it seems to be working well. 

www.bodilgardner.dk
44"W x 41"L   I always enjoy Bodil's wonderful textile "stories".  There are two in the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection - someday I will add a larger one.  I love the little sheep in this one.

This is just one of many Google hits for Dianne Firth - just Google her name for more web sites.
Dianne has been working in this style for a number of years and she always comes up with a new insight into landscape of Australia.  I'm glad this one was already sold - I would have been sorely tempted to buy it!
It is approximately 42" square.

Another amazing quilt from a simple structure.  I don't understand how she makes the torn strips bend as if they were bias cuts.  But there are overlapping ends, which may be the secret.  I have left some of the black backdrop in this image because it makes the values so much more intense.  I don't think it would be very effective on a white/beige wall, it needs the drama of a dark surround.

In this picture you can more clearly see the "joins" at the bottom right and top left.


I didn't find a website for Jean.

This large quilt made an impact from across the room. I'm always a fan of pieced backgrounds and this one has a great value change.

In order to show how large the quilt is I asked three different people if they would stand near it with their back to me so I could take a picture - nobody would recognize their back, right?  Finally the third lady agreed - she is probably about 5' 2" tall. 

pamelart.homestead.com/titlepage.html
Pamela had a lot of quilts at this show, some I have seen before, but all were fascinating to examine "in-the-fabric" and I appreciated seeing the incredible detail she adds to each one.

35" square  Note that this quilt is machine pieced NOT appliqued.  I see a Ruth McDowell influence here!

33.5"W x 50.5"L   Again the lighting doesn't do this quilt justice - the shadows cast by the light standards make it appear there is a vertical color change on the right side.  See Betty's website for a more accurate image.   This is a gorgeous quilt and I wish I had been first in line when the "for sale" sign went up.  I hope it has a happy home.  I've watched Betty's work for years and she just gets better and better. 
Posted by Picasa


1 comment:

Nancy said...

Del,

It's been wonderful looking at all these quilts. Thank you for putting so many up for us.

I went to a small show in the Brush Gallery in Lowell today and Betty had two quilts in it. I just couldn't tear my eyes away from them. I am a huge fan of Betty's incredible quality of work and her keen artistic eye.

Again thanks, it's almost like being in sunny Cali!

Nancy Turbitt