Friday, October 14, 2011

PIQF 2011 10-13-11

Today was the first day of the Pacific International Quilt Festival in Santa Clara, CA.  I drove up to Mary's yesterday and this morning she and her friend Chris and I drove to Santa Clara.  There were a lot of other ladies who decided to enjoy the first day of the show and the place was packed!  I am still gimping around with the sprained ankle (it would get better faster if I were to stay off it - I know) so I have to find places to sit down every now and then.  Tonight I a really exhausted and am just going to post the first four quilts I photographed.  I go back to Santa Clara on Saturday and will continue posting pictures from the show all of next week. 
The Mancuso shows post the quilt measurements with the length before the width, which gets a little confusing sometimes. Some of the quilters have shown quilts at PIQF or other shows I have attended, so check for their names in the side bar if you would like to see more of their work.
 

I do love Nancy S. Brown's work and this is the first time I have seen a person on one of her quilts.  She does a lot of wonderful animals - Henry, one of her little sweater wearing dogs is in TCQC. 




How much more interesting this quilt became when a bite was taken out of it!


Pamela Allen of Canada has such a great imagination and a wonderful sense of whimsy.  I adore these blue grazing creatures alongside a polka dot tree.

Pamela has used both hand and machine stitching.  Notice the turquoise machine stitching around the fern fronds - be that took many an hour. 
Is he a cutie, or what? 


I like this elephant quilt, but wish the blocks were slightly different.  Great sashing and border. And just the right amount of embellishment.

This year the heavy quilting on many quilts seems to be more in keeping with the design of the piecing or applique.  A big improvement over some quilts in the past which I felt were ruined by just overall quilting that had not relationship to over all design. 

 

 
Nancy is a friend of many years and her quilts are always wonderful.  I don't understand why one shouldn't make a quilt with white flowers, I think they are very striking.  And look at the great "pebble" machine quilting she has done in the flower centers.  I'll post the other quilt she has in the show, it is right around the corner from this one (if you are going to PIQF this weekend).
  Posted by Picasa














2 comments:

Brenda Gael Smith said...

Gosh! you do get around Del. Such stamina!

Interestingly, in the mainstream art gallery world, dimensions are always LxWxD whereas quilting seems to be traditionally width x length.

Of course, with square works such as 12x12, it doesn't make any difference :-)

deb_of_pixeladies said...

Thanks for posting all the PIQF photos. I had to miss it this year, and I was very sad. Thanks for cheering me up!