Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Beach Cottage block 02-27-12

I can't believe what a big deal this very small (6" finished) block has become in my life!  The first block is still missing - maybe the "Borrowers" took it away to make into their own beach house!  One would think this second block would be easier, but it has actually been more difficult to make.  There were things I wish I had done in block #1 that I tried to do here and there was trying to save time.  Previously I set-in the windows and thought that drawing them with fabric markers would be faster, but then I couldn't get them quite right and had to go over them several times, as you can tell.   I found the blue w/seagulls fabric in one of my many scrap bags, but it was only a scrap and required some manipulation to fit the pattern pieces on it.   I used a different color for the door (this one is better) which required a stop at the craft store for some different colors of floss for the flowers.   Since I had not yet photographed the first block I don't really know how they would compare - if I ever find it I will post a picture!  But the trash has been emptied several times since I pinned it on the wall, so I expect it has gone with the trash.
I can't seem to get the color right - this picture is a little pale, another is too bright and others have shadows or something else wrong.   
The speckled blue at the bottom is to represent both the sand and the ocean.
Some people thought the round thing was the moon or a balloon, so this time I stitched in a bluebird to show it is really a big round tree on the other side of the cottage.
 
I like the rock, part of the speckled fabric which I just continued onto the background.
 When I was trying to take pictures outside on this very windy, and eventually rainy, day the block flipped over.  When I looked at the images on the computer it occurred to me I should have taken a picture of the back to show that it is all pieced.  So, I'm including this "flipped" picture.

I haven't done any embroidery for years, so I am pleased at how well it turned out - using my arthritic twisted hands!

Posted by Picasa




7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi del! I love your block. Now that you have made the second one, the first one will turn up! Your embroibery is well done! I wish mine was half as good.

hugz

Sally

Beverly said...

I love your colors, and the whimsical feeling of the block. I can hear the ocean down the street!!

Quiltedtime said...

If you are anything like me, Del, you will find Block #1 when you are looking for something else.

Christine Thresh said...

That block is so cute. The embroidery is pretty darn good.

Anonymous said...

Love it, love it, love it! What a beautiful, precious block.

Unknown said...

Dang, Del...you have no reason to apologize for that embroidery! It may have been a pain, but your end result is quite charming....What a happy little piece! (Pieced!) ;)
L.

Cindy Cooksey said...

I think it's wonderful - cheerful, carefree, summery.