Monday, March 26, 2012

Empty Spools - Day 2 w/Ruth B. McDowell 03-26-12

Sorry about not posting yesterday, I was so exhausted I fell into bed about 10pm and slept until 4:30am!  Unheard of!  But it had been a busy day and lots of in & out and up & down.  My sleeping room is one that I am always happy to have in Pirate's Den (building) and the classroom is Nautilus (my favorite classroom here on the Asilomar campus).  Unfortunately they are not in close proximity and I have to go up/down stairs to the parking lot.  I'll survive, but it is very tiring and makes my ankle hurt.  Next session I will be in Pirate's Den again, but the classroom will be right across the driveway in Merrill Hall, so it will be much easier for me. 

 
Ruth B. McDowell with her quilt "Miner's Lettuce" 2007 35"W x 51"L  http://www.ruthbmcdowell.com/clients/rbm/catalog.cfm

Day One is just two hours - from 4 to 6pm - and Ruth showed some of her quilts and talked about them, pointing out things we should keep in mind when we are designing our own work.  I brought two of her larger quilts from TCQC to share with the class and to show on Thursday evening when she gives her talk.
 
On Day Two Ruth devotes the entire day pinning up each student's design inspiration (photo or drawing) and showing how the image might be developed into a quilt design.  It is a long process with 21 students and 21 entirely different designs so she is wiped out by 4pm.  Everyone watches and listens and takes notes and photographs to learn how to approach many different images.   On Day Three we will all work at creating a full size pattern from our design inspiration.  


I've been coming here for 21 years and long ago discovered that the best thing to do after class, especially the first long day, is to get away from the classroom, the students and the ideas whirling in my head.  My favorite escape is to drive along Sunset Dr., which follows the shore of Monterey Bay, and to stop to contemplate the view.  This was one view about 5pm today as the sun was sinking and the rain clouds were gathering - rain is predicted for tonight.  And my umbrella is in my car!!  Oh, well, maybe it won't rain. 

There were many otters playing around in the water, but it is impossible to get a picture without specialized photo equipment.  With my point and shoot I took this shot which has two of the little guys - one in the middle directly above the rocks and another toward the top right hand corner.  The other double dark spot is a rock. 
 
While I was trying to take pictures of otters this California Gull was looking on with disdain!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like your photos would be good composition for a quilt, especially the one with the bird. Very nice.

Christine Thresh said...

I wish I could teleport and be there too.
Thanks for the glimpse.

Rayna said...

I'm exhausted just reading about these past two days. A change of scene and of pace is good for unwinding, isn't it!