Monday, March 12, 2012

Quilt by Brenda Gael Smith of Australia 03-11-12

Here is another of the gift quilts from the http://twelveby12.org/
group of quilters from around the world.  This one is in the exhibit at Visions Art Museum until April 22nd.

 
"Evergreen"  Brenda Gael Smith 2011  12" x 12"
Machine pieced and quilted.  Cotton fabric, cotton thread.
When I saw this quilt I immediately read it as evergreen trees, perhaps the towering Douglas Firs of my native Oregon.  But when I saw that it came from Australia I thought perhaps I was wrong, there are great forests in Australia and New Zealand.  Then I discovered that Brenda had lived in the Pacific Northwest for a time and those were the trees she had in mind when she made this piece. 
The varied greens of the "trees" and the four different browns of the forest behind them create depth.  The irregular angles of the branches say Douglas Fir Tree to me.
 
The quilting is done with different colored threads which can be seen from the back and Brenda has used a facing rather than a binding, so the forest on the front is not confined, but could go on forever.
 
A tidy computer generated label and the image of the quilt front is a nice addition. 
Notice that there is a web address that provides a way to contact the artist.  Check her out at:
www.brendagaelsmith.com.  And on her Bog at:  http://serendipitypatchwork.com.au/blog/ 
She has also curated a traveling exhibit of quilts "Beneath the Southern Sky" which is mostly the work of Australian and New Zealand quiltmaker, but there are a couple from the US. http://www.beneathsouthernsky.com/

 Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Brenda said...

Thank you for sharing my Evergreen work Del and also for the exhibition opportunity at Visions Art Museum. If I close my eyes, I can picture myself in the forests of the Pacific Northwest and can smell the scent of pine needles.

Thanks also for highlighting the Beneath the Southern Sky exhibition which premiered in Sydney last week. I am currently travelling withthe exhibit in New Zealand and throughout Australia. Your US readers may be interested to know the collection will be on display at AQS Lancaster and Paducah shows in March and April 2013.