Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Awesome begonia 08-07-12


It is awesome, isn't it?  Mac Huseby, husband of my Washington State friend, Mabel Huseby, grows these huge, colorful tuberous begonias in pots on their patio.  This one is about the size of my hand!

I remember my great-aunt Effie growing tuberous begonias in her little "jewel box" greenhouse.  She put them out when the Portland, OR, weather warmed up - they hung in pots and grew in the ground all through her lush backyard.  I'm sure some gardeners grow them here in SCalifornia, but they would require special care. 
#   #   #
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Quiltedtime said...

Beautiful! It glows like a tiny flame.

Christine Thresh said...

Is that special lighting or does it really look like that?

Suzanne Kistler said...

Spectacular!