Monday, October 8, 2012

Another treasure from a quilting friend 10-08-12

I'm still thinking of the treasures friends have given me.  Over the years there have been several sewing accessories that became integral parts of my lifetime sewing addiction.

This is an "ort catcher" - an "ort" being a scrap or tidbit and is usually used in connection with food scraps.  But embroiderers co opted the word to mean the thread ends and tiny bits of  fabric leftover when sewing.
 
 
This little basket block ort catcher was made about 25 years ago by my dear friend Betty Lou Lucas who died ten years ago this month.   She was an accomplished needlewoman and we belonged to several of the same groups, including a long lasting friendship group. 

 
This piece has been well used and I still use it when I am able to do handwork - it brings my friend into my mind with joy.  
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

A different design than I have seen. Quite nice! I enjoy having things around friends - family have given to me. It does bring them close...

Rayna said...

I've never seen anything like this. What do you do with the orts?

Unknown said...

Love the word, and the piece! What a wonderful thing to have as a remembrance of your friend.