Sunday, January 6, 2013

Pat Pauly quilt from SAQA online auction 01-06-13

I was so taken with Pat Pauly's "Pink Leaf 2" in the Quilt National exhibit at San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles last spring that I went home and looked up her website.  I'm impressed with her work and hope to add a large quilt to the Collection.  Meanwhile I am enjoying this 12"x12" piece - a great combination of colors and textures.  


"Petite Mummy 2"  Pat Pauly - New York  2012  12"x12"
Commercial and hand-dyed fabrics are stamped, foiled and machine quilted.
www.patpauly.com

I asked Pat about the title - what does the quilt have to do with mummies?  She replied that "The form of the mummy bag, just like the one that is used to sleep in while camping, is a stand-in for a person or personality.  So, they become 'figures' so to speak."
 
 
This type of foiling, like it has weathered away, is pleasing to my eye.
 
 
A commercial batik and a nice hand-dye with yellow scribbles on the red.
 
 
Pat has machine stitched her last name and the year on the lower right corner of the front.
 
 
A nice "pebbled" batik on the back. 
 
But no label!  Instead she has attached a business card.  I haven't decided how to deal with this.  Maybe sew a little net pouch on the back to encase the card.  I have written the size (and it really is 12 inches square) and the year.
 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

I was also entranced by her QN piece. This is quite a lovely piece too.

Pat Pauly said...

Hi Del,

I had to laugh when you described the lack of "label" on my quilt. I figure that no one sees the back of a Matisse or Homer to check for a label, so signing and dating the front should be standard. But, hey, you own it, so have fun! Enjoy that great collection you have.

Pat

bbusbyarts said...

Thanks for the detail shots and comments on the piece. Love Pat's work, it's so vibrant and alive!
-Betty

Anonymous said...

I love this colour combination, my very favourite!