Monday, February 11, 2013

C. Terry Meyer quilt from SAQA 2011 auction 02-10-13

Here is another quilt from the SAQA 2011 auction.   I love Terry's use of older fabrics, I have some of these in my fabric library.  I also think one of the attractions is the contrast between the older, bluer fabrics and newer, brighter fabrics exposed underneath.  The pictures are bluer than they should be, but I have tried for different images to no avail. 

 
"Ode to a Cabbage Rose"  C. Terry Meyer - Espanola, NM  2011 12"x12"
Cotton fabrics, metallic gold thread.  Machine reverse applique, machine quilting.
 
 
It appears that Terry made nine blocks (there are nine 'surface' fabrics) and then cut them into fourths and recombined them to make four patches.  The edges of the patches are butted together and stitched with mono filament.
 
 
I believe there are four layers of fabric and Terry cut away to different layers.
 
 
The quilting is done with gold metallic thread and the edge is finished with a machine blanket stitch also done with gold metallic thread.
 
 
The back with a nice sleeve.
 
 
The label doesn't give a contact and a Google search did not find a website. 
 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Dolores said...

Wow - this is a stunner and so interesting!!!

Loretta said...

A new and very interesting idea for me. I think I'll play a little and see what I can do with layered then cutaway fabrics. Thank you very much.