Sunday, February 3, 2013

"Night Owl" by Judith Roderick from TCQC 02-03-13

I discovered recently that I only posted three of the 12" square quilts I purchased at the 2011 SAQA online auction.  Apologies to all the artists.  I will be showing them for the next month or so.

I want to urge you to try to see the "Brainstorms" exhibit at Visions Art Museum in San Diego.  It closes February 17th.  There are some great quilts on the walls.

 
"Night Owl"  Judith Roderick - Placitas, NM  2011 12"x12"
Whole cloth quilt done with soy wax and Tinfix dye.  Machine quilted.
Judith said, "This is my hand-painted silk image of a Petroglyph Owl, that was done with soy wax and Tinfix dye.  Machine-quilted and embellished with various buttons."
I do love birds and there are a number of bird quilts in the Collection.
 
 
He has such a great look on his face - sort of "who? me?"
 
 
Great grasping feet that are appropriate for an owl.
 
 
Judith has used the buttons on the owl very effectively, I'm not so sure about the green buttons, but they do add some "bling" to the piece.
 
 
The back is solid black so the quilting shows very well. 
 
 
A very rudimentary label.  I looked her up in the SAQA directory so I do have a contact for her.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Marti said...

Nicely done! I love buttons, have a large collection but have not been very effective in using them on my pieces. I love the way the buttons look on this.

Loretta said...

What a fun gal/guy! Judith's quilting adds to the whimsy of this piece. A very special owl for your collection. Thank you for sharing.

LynDee said...

Owl-dorible!