Thursday, February 28, 2013

On the Road 02-28-13

It is that time of year again - Empty Spools Seminars are in session at Asilomar Conference Grounds in Pacific Grove, CA.  I had thought I could get away on Tuesday, but I can't seem to get organized these days and keep getting side tracked instead of concentrating on the task at hand.  Since I am taking Rayna Gillman's class (Ruth McDowell having retired from teaching) an entirely new kind of packing was required.  I have several bags of scraps to share with my fellow students and, of course, an exclusive bag of my favorite colors and fabrics.  I'm sure I will be much more coordinated than Rayna likes her students to be.  But I may jump  out of "the box" and surprise everyone - and myself. 

It was an easy drive from home to Harris Ranch near Coalinga, CA., where I stopped to eat and decided I was tired enough to just stay the night.  All of the three dining areas are very "rustic" and the coffee shop features household things, as you can see in the picture below.


My seat faced this Eastlake style shelf unit with old dishes, cans, and "stuff".  We see this sort of decor everywhere and I always wonder how often it gets dusted. 
 

In front of the shelving unit is this old treadle machine - seems like an odd place for it.  I was going to take a closer look, but as I was leaving a large family group was entering, making standing still an impossibility.  Not a good picture, but I always enjoy seeing a sewing machine anywhere.
 

I had a cup of broccoli soup and a chicken/cheese/basil flatbread pizza - both very tasty.  The pizza is supposed to have sun dried tomatoes which would make it more colorful, but they turn into little fireballs in my stomach, so I asked that the cook leave them off.  I have half of this pizza in a box to eat for breakfast - which some people feel is the best thing about pizza - left overs for breakfast. . 

Tomorrow it will be only a couple hours more to Pacific Grove and I hope to have lunch with my friend Mary before the 3pm check in at Empty Spools.   After a good rest tonight, I'm sure tomorrow will be a great day.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

linda said...

have a great time, make beautiful, interesting work & say hi to Rayna & all of the Central Coast people for me (TGIM-thank goodness it's March!)

Quiltedtime said...

I always enjoy being a little mouse in the corner when you go to Empty Spools. Have a wonderful time, and enjoy your new class.

Patty ♣ said...

Oh! good! Some of your wonderful pictures to come!! have a wonderful time Del!!!

Cindy Cooksey said...

Have fun at Rayna's workshop! The one we took a few years back in Fullerton is burned in my memory. I wish I could say I have used the fabric from the workshop in a quilt. I did make some cute zipper bags with them, though.

Loretta said...

I'll miss you this year - I'm taking Ursula Kern's workshop in Session III. I too miss Ruth, I think she became somewhat of my quilt mother! I look forward to your photos this week. The weather will be wonderful for those short walks to the beach. I know you'll have a wonderful time. Warm regards.